Kerala is a tourist’s paradise. There are a lot on interesting and unique things to do for tourists here, that will make your Kerala trip a memorable one.
Presenting the list of 50 interesting and unique things to do in Kerala
1. Bathe elephants in Kodanad
2. Stay in a Kerala houseboat
3. Get an Ayurvedic massage and rejuvenate your body and mind.
4. Take a sip of Kerala’s Toddy
5. Take an architecture tour of Fort Kochi. It has an influence Arabs, British, Dutch, Chinese, and Portuguese and an amalgamation of all can be found here.
6. Try on the traditional Kerala outfits– Mundu for men and white saris with plain border for women
7. Stay in a tree house in the middle of Kerala’s jungles. Tree houses at Wayanad, Munnar, Athirapally or Thekkady are unique experience and a must on your Kerala trip.
8. Participate in Kerala’s harvest festival –Onam
9. Have the Onam Sadhya- a meal on a banana leaf consisting on over 21 dishes which are a mix of sweet, sour, spicy and tangy.
10. Watch the Snake boat race, known as Vallamkali.
11. Take a spice tour in Munnar, Thekkady or Wayanad and taste some authentic spices like black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon and vanilla.
12. Design a Pookalam. Pookalam is a Rangoli made of flowers.
13. Watch Kalaripayattu Performance. Kalaripayattu is an ancient martial art form of Kerala. It is a blend ofJudo, Kung Fu and Karate.
14. Trek through the forests. Kerala has innumerable forests and trekking and exploring Kerala’s flora and fauna is a must for nature and adventure lovers on their Kerala trip.
15. Try Bamboo Rafting at Periyar Tiger Reserve in Thekkady, while enjoying the gorgeous views and sighting the animals.
16. See the iconic Chinese fishing nets in Fort Cochin.
17. Watch a Kathakali performance. Kathakali is an ancient traditional art- dance form of Kerala. It involves elaborate makeup, bright costumes; intricate hand, body, facial and even eye movement. There are many Kathakali shows held all around Kerala, some especially for tourists.
18. Explore the Sandalwood Forests at Marayoor. These forests are a true piece of history in the state. The Stone-age rock paintings and caves in these forests take you back to the pre-historic period.
19. Do a homestay in Kerala. There are plenty of homestay options all around the state. This will give you a good insight of the local culture and lifestyle of Kerala.
20. Visit at least one of the many waterfalls in Kerala. Athirappally, Vazhachal, Thommankuth, Palaruvi, Cheeyappara, Thusharagiri are some of the popular ones.
21. Shop for Kerala handicrafts and take a souvenir back home from your Kerala trip.
22. Drink Coconut water in Kerala. Coconuts are ubiquitous in Kerala. Coconut water is a refreshing drink and you can scrape the insides of the coconut after you drink the juice, and savour the sweet flesh.
23. Visit the Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple. Kerala is a temple town and the Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple is a very popular temple located in Thiruvananthapuram.
24. Go to Kerala’s drive-in beach. Muzhappilangad Beach is the only drive in beach in Kerala and one can drive on the sand for a stretch of four kilometres.
25. Enjoy the monsoons in Kerala. Kerala is beautiful all year round, but during the monsoons it looks nothing short of a paradise. Although tourists avoid travelling during monsoons, for the adventurous monsoons are a good time to plan your Kerala trip.